Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Casting the Bones

Not just a cool black enchant, it's also an ancient method of divining the future. And there's a light at the end of my jobless tunnel.

And no, in point of fact it does NOT appear to be an oncoming train, but is in fact the lantern held aloft by the kindly brakeman who spotted me stuck on the rail in one of the tunnel cameras, and is walking down to assist me, having warned via radio the oncoming freight train to slow to 30mph, which will give him ample time to free me and for us to be on our way since it is some miles distant yet, thank you very much you pessimistic person you.

Damn I can draft a run-on sentence like there's no tomorrow... That's a real skill you know.

Yeah, I've been availing myself of Superwife's extensive network of connections in the Kentuckiana HVAC, building, contracting, and conrols industries locally, canvassing for jobs, and had hit a sort of calm backwater, drifitng listlessly, when all of a sudden, I got the above-mentioned nibble. Which, as it turns out, is a sho-nuff bite, and it's actually swimming parallel to and in the same direction as the boat I'm fishing from. So I got that going for me, which is nice.

Heh, speaking of availing myself of Superwife's anything, I just got done availing myself of some more of the fantastic vegetable beef soup she sent home with me... Sunday?, I think. Dang that is some gooooooooooood soup!! It's like, V8 for vegetable stock, and chopped up chunks of what seems almost to be steak, and all sorts of wonderful veggies, including cauliflower (which was a new but by no means an unwelcome addition to soup for me) and of course celery, without which soup can only dwell in darkness and despair. She served it with grilled cheese, but I ate mine with a ham and cheese, which was ok. Yeah, I should prolly mention the grilled cheese sandwiches, or at least, the things that pass for grilled cheese down here.

Ok, so, you start with your basic white bread. Now, most normal folks'll butter it, toss a slice of cheese in there, butter the outside, and toss it on the griddle. Contemptible fools! Superwife's grilled cheese sandwiches spit on you! She put mayo on the inside, which spreads the heat better, making for an evener melt, and LOADS cheese into the middle. Then she tosses the outside-buttered sammidges onto a buttered griddle, and joy ensues.

I am so dying of heart disease at or before 50, and I say bully for me.


In other odds strangenesses and news tidbits, I found a bottle of unopened champaigne, with real Frenchie words on it and its foil seal intact, lying in the grass outside my apartment building Sunday morning. Not wanting kids to get it and get in trouble, I put it in my trunk in a safe spot, and wound up giving it to Teh Hawt Gal in the Tallest Tower of Castle Anthrax, ie the rather splendid lady living upstairs from Superwife and Bunnyman (whom some may know as Doctor Alfonse 'Doc' Nebula). She was rather pleased with the serendipitous champaigne that fate had gifted her. Has goodwill for me accrued? Who can say? I think she'd be a great friend to hang out with, but I'm not sure we're couples material. I'm keeping my options open.

2 comments:

SuperWife said...

Dude. You're totally giving away all my cooking secrets. There are penalties, you know.

That aside, I wanted to note that I hadn't heard the story of the champagne. Interesting.

Lastly, I'm keeping my fingers crossed and trying hard not to jinx anything.

Nate said...

Woo-hoo!